Get laid off, get a new car!

These guys could lose their jobs - and get rewarded with a new car

These guys could lose their jobs - and get rewarded with a new car

I’ve been laid off before, and no one ever gave me a car as a parting gift.

Heck, I’ve had to SELL my car after a layoff so I could balance my budget.

That’s why my reaction bordered on fury when I read this article, stating that most of GM’s hourly workers are being asked to leave the company in return for lucrative incentives. Ready for your blood to boil? Ready for fits of jealousy to take over your body? Ready to realize why GM is bankrupt?

The automaker will give most of its 62,000 U.S. hourly workers $20,000 to leave the company, as well as a voucher good toward the purchase of a GM car worth $25,000.

I’ll give you a second to read that again.

Yes, friends, that’s $2.8 billion GM is offering to employees who won’t even work there anymore. And they have the gall to ask the government, to ask U.S. taxpayers, to fund that? I can understand a company wanting to express gratutude to employees for a job well done, but seriously, hand out Starbucks cards and call it good. 

I don’t know about you, but I don’t want to buy $25,000 cars for former GM employees. I’d love to buy MYSELF a $25,000 car, but that’s not a wise financial choice for me right now. I suppose that’s why I’m not bankrupt, though, and GM is.

Chrysler’s offer is even more astounding: $50,000 to virtually all of its 27,000 U.S. hourly workers, along with a voucher good for up to $25,000 on the purchase of a vehicle. Some employees could receive payments of up to $115,000 in addition to the voucher.

To tell you the truth, I’ve supported limited government funds to help the struggling automakers recover and rebuild. This news is changing my mind. If this is how they’re spending money, I’m out. Let them fend for themselves.

Do any of you readers know anyone receiving these lavish buyouts? If so, please send them my way; I want to keep an open mind and hope they can justify this, because right now I’m feeling like I don’t care if another new car ever rolls out of Detroit.

Do you support the autoworker buyouts, or do they outrage you? 

-tgriffith



Related posts:



Related posts:



0 коммент.:

Отправить комментарий